20 May 2010

it just keeps getting better...

The Oklahoman storm season really is something to behold. I know it seems, in fact, it is, the only thing I have really blogged about just of late but how can I not?

With every storm I experience, comes something new, and on this particular occasion there really was something new. I funnel cloud decided to form from the base of a super cell, at about the distance of an American Football field away from me, perhaps a little closer. This thing just came out of the clouds and started heading down.

I can not describe fully the feeling I had when I saw this. The emotions were mixed, excitement and fear, for in my mind I was about to get the shot I was longing for, a Tornado, I was just not expecting it to form a few hundred yards away from me. With my camera ready, I snapped a few shots of this threatening cloud dropping from the heavens.

Unfortunately, or should I say thank fully, I'm not sure, it was not to be. There was not enough rotation in the atmosphere and it dissipated after about a minute or so. There were other people watching, from their cars, all expectantly waiting the formation of a Tornado.

No matter, the storm was still a sight to behold and I managed to shoot some great photographs.

Below is a small selection of those images, click any of the pictures to be taken to my Flickr to see all of them.


above: the funnel


3 comments:

Zac and Abbey said...

Oh my goodness... that was almost a tornado! Amazing pictures! Love those crazy clouds!

Lucas said...

Your photos are incredible Ian. Without being their, your photos seem as good as. Brilliant

Unknown said...

awesome pictures ian! i love the one of the funnel forming!